A Guide to Booking a Professional Singer
Get the best entertainment for your event by following this simple guide
So you've got an event coming up and you'd like to book some entertainment for your guests. There are so many acts to choose from. What should you look for to guarantee your guests have the most amazing time?
When researching a Professional Singer, the first questions you need to ask yourself are:
- Do they have demo songs available to listen to?
- Do they have pictures to look at?
- Is there a promo video to watch?
- Does the artist have their own professional website?
If the singer/musician has all of the above readily available, it's likely they're established and experienced. It's a good place to start when looking for a music professional.
When all the above boxes are ticked you can go into a bit more detail:
- Were they recorded to a high-quality?
- Were the songs choices varied (some current songs and some old ones)?
- Did the singing sound natural, or computerised/robotic sounding?
It's important to make sure the songs sound like they're recorded professionally. Song choices are also important - you need to make sure your artist is versatile and can accommodate guests of all ages. Also try and find some live audio of them and compare it to the demos. If they sound great live AND in studio, onwards and upwards.
- Did the pictures look good?
- Are there pictures of the artist performing?
- Are the photos in a professional studio?
- Most importantly, do the guests look like they're having a great time?
Pictures should show the artist looking cool and smart. Again, you're looking for professional picture quality. If you can, try and find some photos of the events they typically perform at (like the one above). Social media can be a good place to look for these. You're onto a winner if they have professional picture quality at events. They should show that the artist is a popular choice, but also you should see a crowd enjoying themselves! If so, win-win.
- Was the video live audio?
- Was it interesting?
- Did the Artist's personality come across in the video?
- Did you manage to get through to the end of the video without turning it off?
Videos are a great way of seeing your artist in action and trying to get a feel for their personality and how they're going to fit into your event. After watching, you should feel comfortable with the idea of that person entertaining your guests. If there's not much personality in the video, don't expect much personality at your event/on stage. Likewise with their song choices and performance skills.
- Does it exist?
- Does it look smart and professional?
- Does it have a professional domain name and email address?
- Are you able to read reviews from previous customers?
If the singer/musician you're researching has a smart, professional looking website, ending with '.com' or '.co.uk', it's likely they're an established career musician and a good choice for you. You should be able to see what previous customers have said. If a customer has taken precious time out of their day to write feedback, it's definitely worth reading their comments.
Hopefully, after all this research you've narrowed it down to a few choices and you can start to make enquiries about availability and fees. A lot of career musicians get booked up quite far in advance so get in there as early as possible. You should expect a timely and professional response from your chosen musician. They should be accommodating, flexible and be willing to deliver exactly what you want from them.
If you found someone who ticks all of the above boxes, it's likely you've found yourself a talented music professional who will go the extra mile for you in making your event a total success.